FlexPass is an innovative monthly parking option for the ABC Ramps that seeks to better meet the needs of a modern commuter. With FlexPass, you may save money on your commute by paying for fewer days of guaranteed parking, using transit, or telecommuting. The University of Minnesota seeks participants to join a research study to help evaluate FlexPass for commuters this fall, September–December 2021.
Who can participate?
Anyone interested in purchasing a parking contract at ABC Ramps, 18 years or older, can participate in the study, including existing ABC Ramps contract holders. People who currently own a parking contract at a city-owned and -operated ramp are not eligible to participate in the study.
FlexPass Contract Options
FlexPark: Parking Only
- Pay a reduced price for fewer days of parking.
- 14 days per month of guaranteed parking
- $95 per month
FlexPlus: Parking & Transit
- Pay a reduced price for combined transportation options
- 14 days per month of guaranteed parking
- Unlimited transit from Metro Transit
- $125 per month
Both options include In-and-out privileges on days you park.
Contribute to research
Help researchers investigate strategies to improve commutes, while reducing congestion and pollution in the Twin Cities. We need your help to find out if FlexPass is part of the solution.
FlexPass costs less than a standard monthly parking contract at ABC Ramps, plus you’ll get up to $100 via an electronic Amazon gift card for completing daily trip surveys part of the study.
Park when you need it
Get guaranteed parking in the ABC Ramps for just 14 per month, just over 3 days per week. Use other transportation or work-from-home for the remaining days per week.
Get unlimited transit
Take the bus or light rail as often as you want, weekdays and weekends, and get discounted fares on Northstar.
How it works
You’ll be asked to:
- Complete the 10-minute Enrollment Survey to enroll in the study and verify your eligibility and consent. The Enrollment Survey collects some baseline travel and demographic information. If you have questions about the study, please contact [email protected].
- Pick up your FlexPass card. You may pick up your card at the ABC Ramps office located at Ramp A between 10–2 PM on the day you select during the Enrollment Survey. There, you’ll confirm your contract, get your card, make your first month’s payment, and check-in with the Research Team. The FlexPass card will activate at the start of the following month. If you have an existing contract with ABC Ramps, that contract will deactivate at the end of the month.
- Download the Daynamica app on your smartphone. After you pick up your card, you will receive a username and password to log in to the mobile app. Daynamica will use location sensing technology (e.g., GPS) on your phone to record trip and activity data throughout the day. The app is available on the App Store (iOS) and Google Play (Android). You will receive more information about using Daynamica during the study.
- Use FlexPass. Your FlexPass card can be used at ABC Ramps. The FlexPlus contract includes an unlimited monthly pass with Metro Transit and discounted rates on Northstar.
- Collect travel data with Daynamica. While your FlexPass card is active, collect 14 days’ worth of data with Daynamica. Use the app on a daily basis to confirm your event details, respond to trip surveys, and respond to end-of-day surveys. This process is fast and easy, and your privacy will be protected. You will receive up to $100 via an electronic Amazon gift card for completing Daynamica data collection.
- Respond to a short exit survey at the end of the study period. When you exit the research study or when the study ends, you will be sent an exit survey that takes around 10 minutes to complete.
The study will end December 31, 2021. All research data collection will end at that time. Participants are allowed to use their FlexPass contract through December 2021. The FlexPass contracts will be terminated at the end of the study. Participants will have the opportunity to purchase other contracts at ABC Ramps, including the standard Monthly contract, and other pass products from Metro Transit.
About the study
A team of researchers created the FlexPass Commuting Study to better understand how to reduce single-occupancy vehicle travel to downtown Minneapolis.
The research study is a collaboration among the University of Minnesota, ABC Ramps, Metro Transit, Move Minneapolis, MPLS Parking, and the Minnesota Department of Transportation.